Dumbbell Chest Press (video above) is an effective exercise to strengthen and define pectoral muscles.
To understand in detail how this exercise works check out the instructional video below -
Dumbbell Chest Press is an effective exercise to strengthen and define your chest muscles.
It’s a compound movement which not only works out major muscle groups like chest but also synergist and assisting muscle groups like shoulder, triceps, abs, oblique’s etc , so it’s a an effective multi joint exercise and can even be performed if your goal is to lose weight or lose body fat.
The only equipment that you need for this exercise is two dumbbells and one single bench.
How to perform this exercise correctly -
* You start this exercise by lying down on the bench with your feet firmly planted on the floor and shoulder width a part.
* Keep both dumbbells over your chest with your arms fully extended.
* Now breathe in and lower the weight slowly till it reaches your chest level.
* From here breathe out and push the weight back to the starting position by contracting your chest and your core muscles.
Important points to keep in mind while performing this exercise –
1. Keep your shoulder blades pulled back all throughout the movement, that means keep your chest pushed out and not caved in while performing the movement.
2. Maintain total control of the weight while performing the movement especially when the weight is coming down, if the weight is coming down too fast then your shoulder muscles will try and break the fall which can put undue pressure and hence increase chance of injury. So make sure that you get the weight down slowly and in total control.
3. As far as the breathing pattern goes, breathe out when you are pushing the weight up and breathe in when the weight is coming down.
Raghav Pande is an India based Fitness Consultant
He is a Certified Fitness Trainer,Sports Nutritionist and the Winner of “You Tube Next Trainer”