Dumbbell Chest Fly is an effective exercise to define chest muscles, it isolates pectoral muscles and helps get that separation between your chest muscles.
It’s a brilliant exercise to tone up chest muscles and the only equipment that you need to perform this exercise is just a pair of dumbbells.
How to perform this exercise correctly –
* You start this exercise by lying down on the bench with both the dumbbells over your chest and elbows slightly bent.
* Now breathe in and lower the weight slowly as if you are trying to open the door.
* Keep your elbows in a fixed position and lower the weight till your elbows are parallel to the floor.
* From here breathe out and bring the weight back to the starting position by contracting your chest muscles.
Important points to keep in mind while performing this exercise –
1. This exercise is not about lifting heavy but is about doing it correctly, so take your time, learn correct form and then only start lifting heavy weights. Lifting too heavy without proper form will only mess up your shoulder and I can tell you that from my own experience.
2. Please make sure that you get the weight down slowly, if the weight is coming down too quickly then your shoulder will try and break the fall which will put undue pressure on the shoulder joint hence increasing your chances of shoulder injury
3. It’s important that you get the breathing pattern right while performing this exercise, as thumb rule whenever you are contracting your muscle you need to breathe out and whenever you are expanding your muscle you need to breathe in. In this case I am contracting my chest muscles (video above) when the weight is coming up so I breathe out and breathe in when the weight is going down as then I am expanding my chest muscles.
Raghav Pande is an India based Fitness Consultant
He is a Certified Fitness Trainer,Sports Nutritionist and the Winner of “You Tube Next Trainer”
Leave a Reply