Should You Consume Caffeine Before or After Workout
Ok so i got a question from Gauhar on You Tube and the question is – “Should I Consume Caffeine Before or After Workout”.
If your goal is to burn body fat then it definitely makes sense to consume caffeine before workout and i will three reasons for that -
1. Caffeine happens to a nervous system simulator and helps to give that mental boost before you start your workout. There will be days when you don’t feel like working out,might feel lazy or lethargic , caffeine can be really helpful in these situations, it will jolt you out of your laziness and helps give that mental boost that will kick start your workout.
2. Caffeine has glycogen sparing effects and if you consume it before workout then it will metabolize more fatty acids during workout, in other words you will burn more calories from your fat stores and not muscle.
3. Caffeine consumed before workout can help delay onset of fatigue.In other words if you get tired lets say 15 minutes after workout then by consuming caffeine before workout you will probably get tired before the workout .
So Caffeine does work from a fat loss perspective but before you start overdoing caffeine let me also tell you about its side effects -
1. Caffeine causes addiction – Too much caffeine starts governing your mood patterns , so the days when you are on it you will feel very energetic, enthusiastic and lively, but the days when you are off it exactly the opposite will happen which is – you will feel very low on energy.
2. Caffeine also happens to be a diuretic and dehydrates your body , it excretes a lot of b vitamins out of your body which are responsible for various metabolic processes that happen inside the body, If you are over doing caffeine or if you consume too much of caffeine then it makes a lot of sense to supplement your diet with extra b vitamins .
3. Caffeine also depletes calcium stores of your body .
So pls keep all these points in mind before you start overdoing caffeine.
But to answer the question caffeine does work from a fat loss perspective and for maximum benefits you should consume caffeine before workout.
Raghav Pande is an India based Fitness Consultant
He is a Certified Fitness Trainer,Sports Nutritionist and the Winner of “You Tube Next Trainer”